Certification in Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization “IASTM” (CIASTM) ™
Pre-requisites : This certification course is open to Doctors of Physical Therapy, Physical Therapists, Medical Doctors, Chiropractic Physicians, and other rehab professionals.
This certification course is a 2-day “16 hours course”, which is 80% hands on, and 20% lecture. After successful completion of the written and practical exam, participants will be awarded the CIASTM ™
Participants will learn Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM) as an advanced soft tissue technique utilized for detecting and treating myofascial restrictions that restrict movement and cause pain. Participants will learn various IASTM techniques used for treating pain, soft tissue injuries and movement dysfunction. Although this course will focus on utilizing the EDGE tool developed by Dr. Erson Religioso, various other IASTM tools will be used in the course to allow participants to learn how to apply the technique with various tools currently available in the market.
The course will also include the current research studies related to IASTM as well as the history, mechanical and neurophysiological response, progression of treatment and guidelines related to effective and safe application of IASTM.
The course will cover IASTM techniques for the whole body (Suboccipital to plantar fascia).
By the conclusion of this course, the participants should be able to perform the following :
- Describe the history and origin of IASTM and how it evolved over time.
- Explain the indications, contraindications, precautions and proper application of the IASTM technique.
- Explain the role of IASTM in decreasing pain threshold, improving tissue perfusion, and mechanoreceptor stimulation.
- Demonstrate proper assessment and palpation techniques before applying IASTM.
- Explain and demonstrate proper understanding of the mechanical and neurophysiological response to IASTM as well as the different phases of tissue healing.
- Demonstrate proper patient positioning, progression of IASTM technique including “Scanning the tissue”, angle of applying the tool, amount of pressure, direction of treatment and treatment time.
- Demonstrate proper understanding of the various surfaces of the EDGE tool and when to use each surface.
- Demonstrate proper safety technique while applying the IASTM technique including proper use of lubricant.
- Demonstrate proper understanding of treatment protocols for various diagnoses and other treatments to be used with IASTM.